1 resembling flame in brilliance or color; "maple trees ablaze in autumn"; "flaming autumn leaves" [syn: ablaze]
2 lighted up by or as by fire or flame; "forests set ablaze (or afire) by lightning"; "even the car's tires were aflame"; "a night aflare with fireworks"; "candles alight on the tables"; "blazing logs in the fireplace"; "a burning cigarette"; "a flaming crackling fire"; "houses on fire" [syn: ablaze(p), afire(p), aflame(p), aflare(p), alight(p), blazing, burning, on fire(p)]
3 (used of persons) informal intensifiers; "what a bally (or blinking) nuisance"; "a bloody fool"; "a crashing bore"; "you flaming idiot" [syn: bally(a), blinking(a), bloody(a), blooming(a), crashing(a), flaming(a), fucking(a)]
4 very intense; "a fiery temper"; "flaming passions" [syn: fiery] n : the process of combustion of inflammable materials producing heat and light and (often) smoke; "fire was one of our ancestors' first discoveries" [syn: fire, flame]
- Rhymes: -eɪmɪŋ
- On fire with visible flames.
- The flaming debris kept the firefighter well back, and the sparks threatened the neighborhood.
- extremely, visibly or overly-visibly
- To call him a flaming homosexual would be an understatement, but I think he acts that way just to see people react.
- Spanish: llameante
Flaming may refer to:
- Anything set aflame or on fire
- Flaming (Internet), the act of posting deliberately hostile messages on the Internet
- Fläming, a region in Germany
- Flaming, flamer and flamboyant are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically. This is in reference to the ancient practice of burning gays at the stake.
- "Flaming", a song by Pink Floyd from their album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
- The Flaming Lips, an American music group founded in 1983
- Flaming beverage, various kinds of fire-ignited alcoholic beverages
- Flamethrower, a mechanical device designed to project a long controllable stream of fire
Gongoresque, Johnsonian, Titian, Titian-red, abandoned, ablaze, affected, afire, aflame, aflicker, aglow, alight, ardent, bedazzling, bedizened, big-sounding, blasted, blatant, blazing, bleeding, blinding, bloody, blooming, boiling, boiling over, breathless, bricky, bright, bright and shining, brilliant, burning, burning with excitement, candent, candescent, cardinal, carmine, carnation, carnelian, cerise, cherry, cherry-colored, cherry-red, comburent, committed, conflagrant, conspicuous, convoluted, cordial, crimson, damask, damned, dazzling, declamatory, dedicated, delirious, devoted, devout, drunk, earnest, effulgent, egregious, elevated, enthusiastic, euphuistic, excited, extravagant, exuberant, faithful, fanatic, febrile, ferruginous, fervent, fervid, fevered, feverish, fiery, fire-red, flagrant, flamboyant, flame-colored, flame-red, flaring, flashing, flashy, flaunting, flickering, flushed, fulgent, fulgid, fulgurant, fulgurating, fulsome, fuming, garish, gaudy, glaring, glary, glowing, grandiloquent, grandiose, grandisonant, gules, guttering, hard-core, hearty, heated, hectic, het up, high-flowing, high-flown, high-flying, high-sounding, highfalutin, hot, hot-blooded, hotheaded, ignescent, ignited, impassioned, in a blaze, in a glow, in earnest, in flames, in rut, incandescent, incarmined, inflamed, infrared, inkhorn, intense, intent, intent on, intoxicated, iron-red, keen, kindled, labyrinthine, lake-colored, laky, lateritious, lexiphanic, live, lively, living, lobster-red, lofty, loyal, lurid, madcap, magniloquent, maroon, meretricious, meteoric, obvious, on fire, orotund, ostentatious, overdone, overelaborate, overinvolved, overwrought, passionate, pedantic, perfervid, pompous, port-wine, pretentious, puce, red, red-dyed, red-hot, red-looking, reddened, reddish, reddish-amber, reddish-brown, reeking, refulgent, resolute, resplendent, rhetorical, rubicund, rubiginous, rubric, rubricose, ruby, ruby-colored, ruby-red, ruddied, ruddy, rufescent, rufous, rust, rust-red, rusty, scarlet, scintillant, scintillating, scorching, seething, sensational, sensationalistic, sententious, serious, sexually excited, showy, sincere, smoking, smoldering, sonorous, sparking, spirited, splendent, splendid, splendorous, stammel, steaming, steamy, stilted, tall, tile-red, tortuous, totally committed, unextinguished, unquenched, unrestrained, vehement, vermilion, vigorous, vinaceous, vivid, warm, white-hot, wine, wine-colored, wine-red, zealous